There is something about the architecture of KFC fast food restaurants – you can spot them from a mile away. So what happens when they close down, and how have they changed over the years?
A few years ago I stumbled on a Kentucky Fried Chicken advertisement from 1982, that listed all 35 restaurants scattered around Melbourne, as well as the three in Geelong.
In the years since, some didn’t change at all – the store in Ashburton went almost untouched until it was demolished in 2009.
The same applies to the store in Newport, which closed down by the Google Street View came past in 2007.
Others have just received new KFC branding over the original building, the the KFC in Highett.
However not all stores have survived, such as the original KFC at Frankston, which became a Mexican restaurant.
Up in Ferntree Gully a succession of different restaurants have occupied the former KFC.
In Thornbury the KFC moved to a new store next door, with the old building being split into two, with Subway and Cheesecake Shop moving in.
However the strangest conversion was in Seaford, where a dry cleaner took over the tiny take-away only Kentucky Fried Chicken store.
The full list
Here is the full list of KFC stores from the 1982 advertisement:
- Cnr High St & Carool Road, Ashburton
- Cnr Burwood & Albert Roads, Auburn
- 289 Carlisle Street, Balaclava
- 129a High Street, Belmont
- 845 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill
- 460 Geelong Road, Brooklyn
- Cnr Centre Road & Audsley Street, Clayton
- 137 Bell Street, Coburg
- 29 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong
- Cnr Darcy & Doncaster Roads, Doncaster
- Cnr Bell & Albert Streets, East Preston
- 1293 Sydney Road, Fawkner
- 930 Burwood Highway, Ferntree Gully
- 281 Smith Street, Fitzroy
- 368 Barkly Street, Footscray
- 14 Beach Street, Frankston
- 257 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley
- Cnr Lower Heidelberg Road & Villa Street, Heidelberg
- 1121 Nepean Highway, Highett
- Cnr High & Derby Streets, Kew
- 157 Nepean Highway, Mentone
- Cnr Mt Alexander Road & Hall Street, Moonee Ponds
- 450 Melbourne Road, Newport
- 91a Keilor Road, Niddrie
- 431 Princes Highway, Noble Park
- 217 Melbourne Road, North Geelong
- Cnr Varman Court & Whitehorse Road, Nunawading
- 638 North Road, Ormond
- 379 Chapel Street, Prahran
- Cnr High & Lemington Street, Reservoir
- 387 Maroondah Highway, Ringwood
- Cnr Sans Street & Beach Road, Sandringham
- 109 Nepean Highway, Seaford
- Cnr Dandenong & Police Roads, Springvale
- Cnr Princes Highway & St Georges Road, Corio
- 429a Ballarat Road, Sunshine
- 389 St Georges Road, Thornbury
- Cnr Boronia & Wantirna Roads, Wantirna
More photos can be found on Flickr.
The abandoned KFC restaurant pictured at the top of the page is located on Princes Drive in Morwell – it doesn’t feature in the above list.