Here’s how to change a tap washer (I had to do it the other day)
- Turn the tap off (it should be already…)
- Go out to the water meter and turn off the main tap (VERY important…)
- Remove the tap handle. How you do it depends on the tap.
- Take off the cover plate around the tap. Again, it depends on the tap on how you do it.
- Turn the tap on all the way.
- Unscrew the tap mechanism thingy itself (I don’t know what the proper name is! Do you?)
- Pull out the old tap washer, put in the new one. (If you don’t, then you wouldn’t be CHANGING a tap washer, would you?)
- Screw the tap mechanism thingy back in (Still dont know the name…)
- Put the tap covers and handle back on again.
- Turn the tap off again.
- Turn the main water tap back on.
Note step 5. If you don’t do it, the water pressure will cause the entire room to be sprayed with water! That DIDN’T happen to me.
Also note step 10. I forgot to do THAT bit… As a result, when I turned on the main tap, the entire room was sprayed with water. Whoops…