Brown brick on Lonsdale Street

From street level, Telstra’s Lonsdale Exchange building in the Melbourne CBD looks almost like a normal building.

Telstra's Lonsdale Exchange Building

The PMG coat of arms?

However, if you glance upwards you see all 14 brutal stories of brown brick.

14 stories of brown brick

The building was completed in 1969 as a telephone exchange by Postmaster-General’s Department (PMG) and remains in use by Telstra today, having earned it’s place as one of the uglier buildings in Melbourne.

The monolith on Lonsdale Street

Footnote

Planning for the new exchange commenced in 1963.

Liked it? Take a second to support Marcus Wong on Patreon!
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 Responses to “Brown brick on Lonsdale Street”

1. Rohan says:

The completely blank brown brick side walls are the most shocking thing about this bldg, towering above the historic bldgs either side. But I’ve heard some say they like it.

2. Alan says:

The building was not built in 1963. It was built in 1969. I was involved with construction and commissioning of the electrical and mechanical aspects. At one point, an oil line ruptured in the boiler room on the 13th floor and bunker “c” oil escaped down through the building and externally down the north wall. I recall much about this building including the cafeteria which was managed well by Ruth Dixon. The building was fitted out over several years starting with the fifth floor. Jack Twomey was in charge of the installation team. The coat of arms set into the front wall was originally mounted on the Central Exchange on the same site before that building was demolished.

• Marcus Wong says:

Thanks for the corrected completion date – on closer inspection 1963 was when proposals for the exchange were published.

• patricia bradshaw says:

Alan can you tell me if this was where the switchboards were, as it hold no memories for me, but it was 48 years ago. I worked there for about 5 months.
      Thanks, I’m trying to so some research for a book for my family
      Patricia

• Alan says:

Patricia, I am assuming you are referring to the telephone switchboards?
        This exchange was automatic crossbar and if I recall correctly the first stage of installation was located on the fifth and seventh floors.
        A call centre type switchboard may have been built at a later stage.
        The bulk of the floors were still empty when I was there. The row of windows Marcus refers to were on the cafeteria floor.

• Stephen Dunn says:

5th floor was the A ARM, 6th floor the B-ARM. Ron Langley was the Mainenance OIC. Alan, were you on the Insto team, surname starts with N?

3. Alan says:

Stephen, I was involved with the commissioning of electrical and mechanical services whilst the building was being constructed and up until 1972 as it was being fitted out. Regards Alan